Connect with Resilient, Creative, and Innovative Students

We're committed to connecting your organization with exceptional Luddy Indianapolis students thriving in the vibrant downtown center of Indianapolis. Luddy Indianapolis students excel in emerging technologies, possessing the skills and determination to meet industry demands with creative solutions. Employers consistently value their inventiveness, adaptability, and resilience, as our downtown campus immerses them in a world of tech and digital media opportunities, fostering the ability to think outside the box and readily adapt to the ever-changing tech landscape.

Establish a presence in Luddy Indianapolis and meet students in Luddy Hall First Floor Lobby between classes. Luddy Indianapolis Career Services can also provide space for tabling to connect with students while you are on campus. Contact luddycso@iu.edu to learn more.

Every Fall and Spring semester the week before finals, Luddy Indianapolis hosts a showcase for student project and internship work.  It is a great way to connect with students in a low-key and authentic way.  There are typically over 100+ presenters at this open-house style celebration. Contact luddycso@iu.edu to learn more.

Luddy Indianapolis has many specialized student organizations that want to partner with organizations for events. Start by contacting luddycso@iu.edu.

Have a media-related project you think students could bring to life?  The NEWM-N-420 course is designed for groups of Media Arts and Science undergraduate students to bring media projects to life.  The scope of projects may include videos, 3D renderings, game design, web design, or audio production.   Submit your request to course instructor Zeb Wood at zwood@iu.edu at your earliest convenience for future semester planning.

The INFO-B 584 practicum course is a 3-credit internship experience for health informatics graduate students to gain practical experience and develop the skills necessary to succeed in the field of health informatics. Any employer with an interest in bringing on Health Informatics students for internships or practicum should connect with Gary Schwebach at gschweba@iu.edu to explore if this is a good fit for your organization.

COMET Lab at Luddy Indianapolis's Department of Human-Centered Computing is a research lab where Data Science and Human-Computer Interaction graduate students and faculty collaborate on web, mobile, and interactive media projects. Over 40 graduate students work on 15+ community initiatives, supervised by faculty. They specialize in user interface design, usability testing, app development, data visualization, and database ETL. The lab partners with units like Polis Center, Indianapolis Public Library, and non-profits. Contact Skip Comer at rscomer@iu.edu for community-driven project inquiries. 

Applied learning to solve real-world problems. Whether it’s student startup development or university-supported research projects, the focus is on students taking what they learn in the classroom and using it to serve society. 

Learn more about Luddy ALIGN


In Handshake, the career management portal for the IU system, you can:

  • Register for our career fair and other events.
  • Search student profiles and connect with students directly.
  • Post jobs and internship positions.

Register for Handshake

Employer Resources

The Luddy School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering in Indianapolis uses these guidelines for providing career services and expects all participants to comply with them when conducting business with the school: 

Work authorization for international students with F-1 status

These are the most popular work authorization types for international students with F-1 status. There are other types of visas that grant work authorization; for example, H1B, O, TN, etc.

Questions? Contact Julie Seman at jseman@iu.edu

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Work authorization that allows international students with F-1 status to accept practical training in their academic field. Internship programs are some of the most common types of CPT opportunities for international students.

Duration: There is no limit, but 12 months of full-time CPT eliminates eligibility for OPT. Part-time CPT employment does not affect eligibility for OPT.

Hours: Students can either work part-time (20 hours or less/week) or full-time (more than 20 hours/week). The employer decides the student’s hours. Employer Role:   Must give the student an offer of employment. Applying for CPT work authorization is the student’s responsibility, and no action is required on the part of the employer.

Cost: There is no cost to the employer.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Post-completion work authorization that allows international students with F-1 status and who have graduated to gain practical work experience related to their major field of study. This can also be done before completing their degree program.

Duration: 12 months

Employer Role: Applying for OPT work authorization is the student’s responsibility, and no action is required on the part of the employer. OPT can be approved with or without an offer of employment.

Hours: Students can either work part-time (Less than 20 hours/week) or full-time (20 hours or more/week). The employer decides the student’s hours.

Cost: There is no cost to the employer

STEM OPT Extension

An additional 24 months (about 2 years) of OPT work authorization (for a total of 36 months) allowing international student with F-1 status and who have graduated with an approved degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) to gain extra practical work experience.

Hiring international students with F-1 status

Do not let fear of the visa process prevent you from hiring the best and brightest international graduates available. U.S. law provides several ways for employers to hire foreign graduates of U.S. universities.

Frequently Asked Questions

We do not currently sponsor employees or file for future work visas. Can I still hire an international student with F-1 status?

Yes! CPT and OPT work authorization does not require sponsorship from an employer to apply; only a job offer.

How much must the employer pay to hire an international student with F-1 status for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT)?

There is no cost to the employer. Students pay the application fee to receive their work authorization.

How much paperwork does the employer need to fill out to hire an international student with F-1 status?

Very little! All paperwork is handled by the student, the school, and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The employer must fill out the usual hiring paperwork (Example: I-9, etc.)

How long can an international student with F-1 status work for an employer?

For CPT, it can vary but typically work authorization is granted on a semester basis.

For OPT, international students with F-1 status are granted 12-months of work authorization to work in their major field of study post-graduation.

For the STEM OPT Extension, certain international students with F-1 status are granted an additional 24-months of work authorization post-graduation. The employer must participate in the E-Verify system for the student to file for their STEM OPT Extension.

What about taxes?

International students with F-1 status earning income while working on practical training are subject to applicable federal, state, and local income taxes. Generally, international students with F-1 status are exempt from Social Security and Medicare tax requirements.